We first told you about it this past October when police seized nearly $2 million in cash and thousands of pounds of marijuana in Lexington and Georgetown.
This week the last of six men plead guilty in Lexington.
According to the U.S. District Attorney Kerry Harvey, a Mexican man admitted in federal court Tuesday that he and six others conspired to distribute thousands of pounds of marijuana in Fayette County worth
well over a million dollars.
“In terms of marijuana there’s no question this was an extraordinarily large find,” Harvey said.
Harvey also said during the course of his guilty plea, Narcisco Munguia Pineda, 41, acknowledged that law enforcement discovered 300 pounds of marijuana in the trunk of his car when he was stopped in the Hamburg area by law enforcement on October 4, 2011.
Authorities then executed a search warrant for his residence on Ice House Way and found more than 3,000 pounds of marijuana along with two firearms.
Previously, Ismael Rodriguez Garcia, 37, Julio Cesar Robles, 33, Gilberto Rodriguez Hernandez, 32, Raul Rodriguez Rojas, 31, Luis Osvaldo Rodriguez Rojas, 38, each of Mexico, and Joaquin Diaz Verdin,19, of Lexington, pleaded guilty to their roles in the conspiracy. They were indicted by a federal grand jury in late 2011.
At the same time as the discovery of the marijuana in Lexington, law enforcement was performing surveillance at a residence at Starting Gate Point in Georgetown, Ky. The surveillance culminated in a series of traffic stops of vehicles that left the Starting Gate Point residence.
Police there, seized 300 pounds of marijuana they found in a trunk of a car at the residence on Starting Gate Point and $1,800,000 in cash.
The investigation was spearheaded by the U.S. DEA with assistance from the Lexington Metro Police Department, Georgetown Police Department, Versailles Police Department, Richmond Police Department, Kentucky State Police, Frankfort Police Department, Nicholasville Police Department, Winchester Police Department, Garrard County Sheriff’s Office, Kentucky Office of Attorney General, and Scott County Sheriff’s Office. The United States was represented in the case by Assistant United States Attorney Robert M. Duncan, Jr.
All six men are scheduled to be sentenced in May.